Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Monday, October 12, 2009

Scenarios

Going into Wednesday's US vs Costa Rica match, the MNT will be looking for a first-place finish in Concacaf. I'm not sure if that will give them a higher seed in the draw. I doubt it. I think they do seeds based on rankings and overall reputation. Thus, Mexico always gets an easy group and we always get a hard one. Anyway, here are the scenarios from the US Soccer website:

In order to secure a first-place finish the six-team CONCACAF hexagonal:

The U.S. has to equal or exceed the number of points that Mexico earns at Trinidad & Tobago, which can be accomplished the following ways:

  1. A U.S. win (with any Mexico result)
  2. A Mexico loss (with any U.S. result)
  3. A U.S. tie with a Mexico tie or loss

Note: If the U.S. loses and Mexico ties, the teams will be even with 19 points, but the U.S. would fall behind on the goal differential tiebreaker and would finish in second-place in the hexagonal.

2 comments:

  1. I heard Tommy Smyth saying that seedings in the world cup are based on past world cup performance, and he said the US should be seeded fairly high. Not sure why:
    I guess we are higher than some just by the fact that we've been to five in a row. 2002 helps us cause we got to the quaterfinals. Were we last place in our group in 2006 or 3rd?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought we were last place, and one of the last in the whole tournament due to goals. What's so ironic about 2006 is that we finished terribly and only had one earned goal, if memory serves. Yet we tied Italy, the tournament winner and were - I believe - the only team to "score" a goal against them.

    ReplyDelete