Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Determination

Your captain got a lesson in determination today following our 4-4 tie versus top-seeded Gang Green.

Midway in the second half, we were down 4-1 and I admit to thinking about ways in which we could lose gracefully. While I was wasting time doing that, you all put together a sustained series of impressive plays. We scored 3 unanswered goals, punctuated by a killer set piece, and earned the point.

We did it with outstanding distribution from the midfield, and also the defense. E was the common denominator on most drives; what a great performance by her and the players she set up to dice their midfield when it counted most.

Overall, everyone played well - and we got production from each position of the field. We are a high-quality side, top to bottom. However, that doesn't get the job done by itself. What does is developing a style and being on the same page to make runs and passes. The last 3 games have looked great in my opinion.

Do you agree?

Have any other comments? Post them here. Don't be shy about suggesting ways to tighten up the defense. We did give up 4 goals, even though they were all excellent shots, including an untimely deflection.

Scoring summary:

- Pete ran onto Elyse's slot pass at the 20 and beat the goalie from the 10' to the right post (30').

- Percy received Elyse's distribution to the wing and dribbled in from the corner of the box, and made a great finish. Cat set the play up with a heads-up throw-in (70').

- Chip was there to collect and bury the deflection off of Suzie's shot, which hit the post (80').

- Ermy took a creative touch and shot deep in the box after Chris' clever direct kick from the 18'. The set piece was well earned by Nate, who ran full steam onto a through ball and forced the defense - both the goalie and the center back - to obstruct in order to stop the shot. I didn't see the ensuing deflection. Someone put it in the back of the net. I called for the whistle before the play was over - there's a lesson there too. Play until the whistle, we'll argue it later. Thankfully, we had a great set piece to re-earn the goal (88').

Notes: 4-4 tie versus Gang Green on 10/4 at Ridge. Goals by Pete (Elyse), Percy (Elyse, Cat), Chip (deflection), Ermy (Chris, earned by Nate). GK: George, with approx. 4 saves.

3 comments:

  1. I believe Griz put in the goal that didn't count. I may have got a touch on the ball in the three way collision where I took out their goalie and their defender - or the ball may have just squirted out as a result of the collision.

    Don't know about the team defense as a whole shipping so many goals...It's been something I've been wracking my brain about last season and now this season. All I've come up with is that we need to recover faster from turnovers - from top to bottom. Yesterday I also noticed a couple of times on free kicks where we sent everybody forward and the sweeper made the kick. If that is the set up the kick has to go up and over for a header and not passed on the ground because that is just ripe for a counter attack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points, Nate.

    Regarding the free kicks, my foot strength is bad so we probably do need to figure out a better plan for most of those.

    Yes, we are quite vulnerable to the counter-attack. I'm sure what the right prescription is. I will think about that.

    And a Q: do players such as yourself, who earned the direct kick that led to a score, ever get credit for the assist? I'm not sure how to score that. I'm also thinking of a player who earns the PK but doesn't take it. Maybe it's just a good play that doesn't go on the score sheet. Enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as points for earning free kicks and penalties - I don't know of any. Just a shout out in the weekly right up is all I see on the web sites. It's like Heskey or Ching - they never score or even assist very much, but when they're in the team - the team wins more often than not. But these kind of unquantifiables cause a lot of debate and people to say "Ching sucks!" and "Why do they still pick Heskey?!" etc.

    I feel like that now....getting to play striker more - but haven't scored in that position since summer league. My goal this season was when I was playing as a defender - like your goal on Sunday - coming from the sweeper position. Yours was better because it was the opening goal

    ReplyDelete