Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Friday, June 6, 2008

Results of the Poll - and some reminiscing about the old days

The most dramatic match we've played in is...the Spring '07 CCSL championship match, according to your votes. Dramatic? Yes. Uplifting? No. In case you didn't know, that's the match in which we hung tough with Team X but completely unraveled at the end. Our goalie got a red card. We lost a player to injury. The ref, seeking retribution for the red card, allowed the winning free kick to be taken, without another goalie in place. But we know that we hung in there. I'd like to think we would have won in penalties.

All the other matches got votes, except for the '06 Fallfest semi-final game. If you were there, you would definitely know it as one of our great wins. We had cleared our group straight away with 3 wins. In the semi-final, we played Soccer Bums, against whom we were evenly matched. It They had tied the game late, 1-1. As time expired, Mark won the ball at midfield and sent a very long pass into the area which Jer collected on his chest for an amazing two-touch finish (once off the chest, once into the net). The other team's bench went silent; it was incredible.

I voted for the '06 Coed Classic final game. You don't often go to FIFA-style penalties in a rec match. It's an amazing amount of pressure after you've played 5 matches over 2 days. You get to the top of the bracket, play a full game against a tough opponent, and settle everything with 5 shots a piece from the spot. Great experience (we lost unfortunately, but there weren't any hard feelings).

2 comments:

  1. I didn't want to boast on my goal from the fallfest tournament, but that's my fave Goleros memory, just because of the drama.

    I guess most of our most dramatic games have ended up as losses though. Here's to changing that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted for the Spring '07 championship game. I only had two to choose from - that one and the one last week. Reasons: 1. It was a championship game. 2. I felt that Team X deserved their first two goals - just as we deserved our two goals - a very evenly matched game, whereas I felt like at least two of Clare&Dons goals were undeserved because they got lucky off deflections. Plus, in my mind, if their goalie wasn't so good, then we would have had at least six goals (his saves on Jackie's and Bri's shots were stellar).

    Finally, here's a little secret. I actually voted for both - one vote from home and one vote from work ;)

    ReplyDelete