Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The CR

Along with Liam, Jer is one of the two refs that represent us before the league.  It's something to be thankful for, it saves us $500 on dues and helps to meet our commitments in a player-run league. 

Not sure if you know this, but Jer is a solid referee.  He is often offered the chance to referee our league's championship matches. 

This past weekend, he had to leave our game early to be the Center Referee in a Premier League match.  He was being assessed for a future promotion to a lower (which means better) grade level.  He passed with flying colors, issuing two yellows as a bonus.

Here's what he said about the game when I asked him for a full report:


Everything went well with the assessment, the first half was funny.  A Premier men's league game and I called 6 fouls the entire first half.  There were more fouls in the first half of our game on Sunday.  The second half got a lot more interesting, I gave out two yellows and the game ended 2-0.  The first goal was an absolute cracker.  Full first-time volley from the top of the box off of a cross from the right wing that went straight into the upper 90.  I was standing about 5 yards behind the guy who hit it and I knew it was in as soon as it left his foot.  That's one of my favorite things about reffing at that level, you see some amazing goals from the best vantage point on the field.  The assessor had some good feedback, but for the most part, said I called a good game and managed it well.  At this point, they're looking for the ability to manage the game and the players, keep it flowing, and apply the laws correctly.  It's a lot less about foul
 recognition and mechanics.


Jer, tell us more about your grade level, where you want to get, and what that means.  Nate, Liam, or Katya, tell us about the certification process.  I think you start off at Grade 8 and work your way down.  My understanding is that even a Grade 5 ref is an accomplishment.  The professional refs are, what, Grade 3's?  Is that right?

Anyway, congrats to Jer and thanks on behalf of the team for fulfilling our commitment to the league. 

3 comments:

  1. Quick rundown of grades

    Grade 9 - Junior Referee - Usually, these are the younger kids you see as assistant referees (linesman). Don't get center assignments.

    Grade 8 - Referee - Most refs are this grade. Requires taking an 8-hour certification course and passing a test on the Laws of the Game (LOTG).

    Grade 7 - Senior Referee - Requires an assessment, fitness test, 100 games experience as center referee on 90-minute, USSF-sanctioned matches. You get assessed and tested every year to keep this certification (and for all the other grades that follow). Right now, I'm a 7.

    Grade 6 - State Referee - More hoops to jump through. Requires 3 additional assessments, a 16-hour upgrade class, more physical fitness testing and another certification test. You also need an additional 50 matches as center referee on 90 minute, USSF matches. But you get a cool patch that says you are a "State Referee"!

    Grade 5 - State Referee - Senior - These guys are probably working professional matches, at least some of the time. It's pretty tough to get to this level. And there seems to be a bit of a ceiling. You need an additional 25 games as a grade 6, plus more assessments, including one out of your assignment area.

    Grade 4 - National Referee - These guys are the big time. There's a National Camp for them, every January, usually in Florida I think. MLS referees are taken from this pool. Jim Sadowski (who is affiliated with CCSL and manages/plays with Mallrats) just made it to the National level.

    Grade 3 - Not sure it exists, but I bet it does. Might be Assistant Referee (Linesman). Once you get to the FIFA level, you are either a linesman or a center referee. You don't do one or the other.

    Grade 2 - FIFA International Referee - These are the big guys. You'll notice that MLS referees wear National badges if they are National referees, but FIFA referees have a white FIFA badge. There are a couple that referee games in the MLS. These would be the referees that work matches from the UEFA Champions League, International Friendlies, all the way up to the World Cup.

    As far as I know, there is no Grade 1.

    Ultimately, I'd like to make it to National Referee. I don't think I'll have the chance to make it to the MLS, but that would be cool. Generally, there are some politics involved and younger favorites of the state referee committee tend to take precedence over older dudes like me with a family who referee on weekends because they enjoy the game of soccer. Generally, those are the guys who are fast-tracked at 25 and go on into the National pool. I actually think it's a bit of a broken system (since you pretty much need a Sugar Daddy to get to that level) and could explain why many complain about the level of MLS referees. But I think in general, MLS referees are ok. They just get a bad rap since MLS remains a pretty new league without a developing referee program. I think in 10 years, the quality will be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen a lot of MLS games this year, but a friend of mine says that there are some new younger refs that are looking good. That awful ref, Sam, that used to do CCSL games reffed one MLS game as a linesman - I don't think they ever called him back. But you're right about the "sugar daddy". Sam's sugar daddy was CCSL, which gave him as many Premier games as he wanted so he could get his requirements. The league got so many complaints though I don't think he is allowed back.

    Anyway the point is Jer, MLS is achievable and they could use you!

    I used to ref 1-2 games a week, much to the consternation of my wife because with playing I would be gone for 7 hours on a Sunday. As the kids got older, it's just not do-able anymore.

    Reffing helped me though, you should have heard how much I would yell at the refs before I was one. Not a pretty sight.

    Also, it helps you predict what is going to happen in a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad i posted this because it's a really interesting side the game. if you love sports, it's a great way to participate in the competitive game if you aren't a professional player yourself.

    it takes a certain kind of person to have the confidence and judgment to be a ref. i did it in high school and have served as an umpire too. it's easy to criticize a ref...until you have to do it yourself.

    Nice comments!

    ReplyDelete