What did you think about the game? What was the difference? What were the best goals? Importantly, who tallied points by scoring and assisting? I have no idea for most goals.
My initial thoughts are these. I was totally psyched to see everyone again and I was more than a little impressed by the fluidity of the play. I thought we played great. The margin in that game was very small. It was a very fun match and everyone should be proud.
Put your constructive thoughts here.
Don't forget happy hour on Wednesday.
Notes: 6-5 loss to DC Thunder, 3/29/09, Pentagon City. GK: George. Goals by Chris (Nate, Ally), Chris (Jer, Ermy), Ermy (Kate L.), Jon (Meg), Unknown.
I thought Ermy played a great game. He was responsible for most of the goals in the first half, and the other team had no answer for him the entire game.
ReplyDeleteA great first game. The small field and wind aided the high score. Also, I think both teams were extremely pumped up to the detriment of the defense and the benefit of the offense. (I'm still amazed how that one Thunder defender got away with growling loudly around the field when Chris stole the ball away from him.) The ref probably saw that everyone was intense and let us play. They were probably happy to see a spirited match, because the one before was a real snooze.
ReplyDeleteFirst goal: Chris, assist Nathan, (if you count second assist: then count Ally's throw-in to me)
Second: Pass into the box from (Jer?) to Ermy who dummies and Chris scores off his shin guard ;)
Third: Ermy (I don't remember any details other than telling him it was a nice goal)(Kate assist?)
Fourth: ?
Fifth: my favorite. Great passing down the left side between Chip, De, Jer, and Ermy. Ermy crosses to Jon who slots it in. (is that right?)
Defensively we tried to shut down Roland but one mistake against him leads to a goal. He was involved in 5 of their 6 goals. When we were ahead 5-4 Roland/Thunder were stopped by our whole team tracking back. There were two more times that needed to happen at the end and perhaps we ran out of legs - we were forced to give up a penalty and then for Thunder's final goal the growling guy ran unchecked the length of the field down the right side to set up the goal.
Oh yeah. My vote for Man of the Match: Ally
ReplyDeleteSorry Guys, I really dropped the ball in the game..... There should have been a few shots I should have stopped. I wasn't on top of my game.... Don't blame the defense, the goalie is to blame.... I take full responsbility.....
ReplyDeleteI was impressed with everybody's commitment and hustle. Despite the fact that we let in 6, I thought everyone was trying to get back and play defense. We just happen to have more offensively gifted players. Losing Jackie and playing without Mike meant we missed their particular talents for breaking up attacks.
ReplyDeleteI do like how we worked together on offense though. We probably could have scored 3-4 more goals with a little more luck.
I'd like another crack at that team.
Ahh, a little backstory from the game. One of the DC Thunder players who received a yellow almost got a red. The guy who fouled John and got a yellow.
ReplyDeleteI reffed the next match with the referee from our game, and he told me he was that close to giving that guy a red. Apparently, he also said some things that would have warranted a sending off. It didn't happen, but it was a razor thin line that he was walking.
In my opinion, that ref we had was quality. DC Thunder fouled us quite a bit (and we got them back on occasion) and even though he called me for a PK, I still think he did a solid job. For a 2nd division match, that was a pretty physical contest. In the Premier match I reffed following our game, I probably only whistled 10 fouls and there was nothing approaching a yellow card foul. I think there were at least 25 fouls in our game, and two clear cautions on DC Thunder.
Thanks Jer for the thoughts, because you reminded me why I thought Growling Man didn't get a yellow for all that grunting, etc (i.e distracting an opponent is a yellow card offense). I think he was already on a yellow for fouling Kate (?) in the back. So Thunder was close to two reds.
ReplyDeleteHey Guys-
ReplyDeleteMy apologies for my performance- I know at least one of the breakdowns was caused by me, leading to a goal by Kelly. I was shaken up after the leaping header collision in the second half.
Katya
All, George, and Katya - we all made mistakes (I let that free kick go over my shoulder) - (it just so happens that one mistake against Roland usually leads to a goal) - let's hear something positive you saw in the game. I certainly have the mind for game details I used to, and would like to know more about what other people saw.
ReplyDeleteKatya, that was a nasty knock you got and the guy got a yellow (I previously attributed the hit on Kate).
Nate - that's right, my friend! Let's hear positive thoughts. There's no need for folks to "take responsibilty." Soccer is a game of mistakes. As I said in this post, I thought we played well and it's really a bright note. That's the irony of that game. It was a great coed match, actually.
ReplyDelete