Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Strange Game

by Nate:

Since Pete left the game early, he has asked for our help in the game
report department. The Diplomats first goal came early in the first
half. Our fifth woman was waiting on the sidelines to go in to bring us
up to full strength, however, the line ref. did not let her go on
because he could not get the attention of the center ref. Meanwhile the
Diplomats were dribbling and passing up our left side, blowing by all
our tackles and scored. Hopefully somebody that was on the field can
fill in the details on their shot in the comments section. Now up to
full strength, the second goal we allowed came off a bad bounce of the
ball off the turf. The last time we played on turf the field was wet so
the ball bounced more like a grass field. This time, however,
conditions were dry and the ball bounced weird, we missed the clearance
and their forward tapped in the easy score. Our first goal came after
some great pressure by Jon on a slow back pass to nowhere. Their
sweeper turned to pass the errant ball back to their keeper who had
already started to sprint to beat Jon to the ball. The sweeper's back
pass went into the net. At the start of the second half, even though we
were starting to gain momentum, yours truly put the Diplomats ahead
3-1. Another comedy of tacking errors led to their forward having the
ball at his feet facing the goal ready to shoot. I toe poked it away
from him for an easy goal into the right side of our goal past a diving
Alec. I wish I could score that well for our team!

Then tragedy struck. Someone will have to fill in on the comments
section or in their own blog posting about how Heather fell. I heard
that there was a collision that led to a bad fall, but I did not see
it. I do believe the collision was not very near the ball when it
happened which contributed to the strangeness of the game. We received
our text update that Heather's wrist was broken from Pete at 10:16PM. I
certainly hope she wasn't at the hospital that long before they figured
that out. In his text, Peter did not update us as to the status of
Heather's Goleros jersey. We all hope it is okay. By the way, the
captain of the Diplomats (Joe?) wants to chip in on the flowers. Who's
organizing? Of course, we all hope for a speedy recovery, and wish her
good luck in learning to write with her right hand.

Play resumed and we were finally back to our Goleroselves - passing well
- winning 50/50 balls. Chip scored soon after the break. He was on our
left in the penalty area, a cross came in from the right (by Cat?) and
Chip shot it hard into the roof of the net past their goalie who barely
had time to react. The clock was winding down - Adrian had a break away
shot saved well by their goalie - Katya had a shot barely miss wide
right - Chris kept getting fouled but strangely getting called for the
foul - Alec kept making great saves - we started to dominate. The goal
came off a high looping cross by Anna in to the box for Jon's head. He
"intentionally" headed it off the underside of the crossbar into the net.

See you at the next game - until then get the beers in!

3 comments:

  1. I am happy to provide an update on the Goleros jersey Heather was wearing during the incident. She wore it the entire time we were in the ER. It was a nice conversation piece for us; more for me because there were a lot of nurses and orderlies that came in to see us and I gave them the whole "I'm a soccer player" routine. Perhaps I should have focused a little more on what Heather needed.

    The jersey made it unscathed though. The team has recovered it. Now we just need our player back too.

    PI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she ever get to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the pain reduced her hunger a little bit. She got to watch me eat potato chips, until later when we went to IHOP with Adrian. I had chocolate chip pancakes - yummy.

    ReplyDelete