Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Monday, October 20, 2008

10/19/08 Game Report

by Nate:

[I'll start by wishing our stalwart player, De, a speedy recovery. De,
if you can, comment here and give us an update on the status of your
nose. For those of you who don't know, De continued in the Goleros
tradition of putting it all on the line and was leveled half way through
the second half.]

As a result of our 3-1 win yesterday versus a struggling Armory team,
our playoff destiny is firmly in our hands. I'll let Pete blog on the
current standings, however, I will say that the situation is much
clearer now - especially since Funky Town has finally logged in their
results.

Armory is struggling. A team that used to vacillate between Premier and
1st division seem to have lost some umph. That said, they did have two
wins going into yesterday's fixture, so we can look on our win as a
great positive achievement and a continuation of our team cohesion. I
am of the opinion that all goals need a little bit of luck. However,
none of our goals could be called "fluke" goals. They all came either
from well crafted offensive maneuvers or from the continual pressure we
applied to the Armory defense. Also, again Alec deserves much of the
credit for keeping the score against at 1. Personally, I recall the
breakaway from me as sweeper and his finger tip save to push the ball
just past the post - as well as the karate kick off the ground to clear
the loose ball. [Actually, to me the move looked more like a Capoeira
move - but I wrote "karate" because I'm not sure how many people have
seen Capoeira in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51q1VB_dDik].
Put your favorite Alec saves in the comments section.

It was a break out game for many players. Liam had a great game on left
wing - improving on his debut performance a few weeks back. Kristin
killed in midfield. Carolyn gave their defense lots of trouble from the
forward position. Chip pitched in as stopper and put some moves on.
Please fill in some comments on other great plays and players.

Here' a brief summary of goals, but I need somebody to give me a few
details on the first two goals. Especially the first goal I believe
there is an assist to credit. The second goal I think there was no assist.
1-0: Good offensive maneuver ends with a trademark chip over an
onrushing goalie for a goal by Ermy.
2-0: Continual pressure leads to a bad clearance straight to Ermy who
volleys a shot over the keepers head right under the bar.
3-0: Armory caught pressing for a goal and Bri steals the ball away in
midfield for about the 100th time, passes to Anna who crosses to Nathan
for a one-on-one shot against their keeper.
3-1: Soft hand ball penalty call leads to their one goal (didn't I tell
you last week Alec not to dive in this league! - wait for the shot.)
Know of a great shot or offensive play we had? - put it in the comments
- or put it in a blog entry.

Time for me to head home for the day - please give me some comments to
fill in the holes in this game report.


[Notes: 3-1 win versus Armory on 10/19/08, Kenmore Middle School. Goals: Ermy (NK), Ermy (NK), Nate (Anna, Bri). GK: Alec.]

6 comments:

  1. Had a late game so I'm still up.

    I'll comment more later 'cause this write-up is great.

    Quick update on De. She's OK, banged up head but nothing serious in terms of head injuries. She probably doesn't want to comment on it much, if I know her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out, Nate. And thanks to everyone else for their concern and support also (moms, friends, and significant others included). I am more sad than anything to say that it looks like I'll be joining Heather on the injured list for the rest of the season. I broke a bone in my face - the one that forms our eye socket basically. No worries though, I'm not in any pain at all and my head and eye are perfectly fine. Just want some revenge of course! Keep the wins coming and I will be there to cheer you on when I can. Thanks again everyone! De

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been strange lately. In another game I ref'ed Sunday, a girl walked straight into a guy as he turned to walk upfield, and she went down like a house of cards. I was surprised because they were both just walking. He was a bigger guy, but it looked like a chest bump, until I saw her go down and had to be helped off the field.

    Weird.

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather and Deanna-- FEEL BETTER SOON!! So Sorry you got hurt :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww Heather and De feel better! De, you had an amazing game - damn that guy for the eye blow! PLease feel better soon!!!

    Katya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had the opportunity to see some Capoeira in person. It's a fantastic brazilian artful activity. They practice it in numerous regions of the country. I saw some "performers" in a little town called Ouro Preto in Minas Gerais, which is a hilly University town with a preserve portuguese colony feel. It's just a few hours from one of Brazil's largest cities, Belo Horizonte (DCU's Fred is from there).

    People, I do want to know if there is another assist to credit. Chime in.

    Excellent report, Nate. Feel free to keep contributing!

    ReplyDelete