Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Lady Goleros lift team to 5-0 victory and first win of the season

After a slow start, we put ourselves back on the map in the division with a 5-0 win. Let's not kid ourselves. The ladies carried the team. The first three goals were all great goals, and were all scored by the ladies.

Let's see, you had a clinical finish by Ashley off of Tracy's cross in about the 20'. You had a killer upper 90 shot from Tracy in the 30'. Then you had Suzie earning a soft PK in the 55'. She found the right side netting from the spot, despite an early jump by the keeper.

The ladies finally passed the ball to the guys late in the second half and we managed to score a pair. Chris had a sweet turn and shot in the 70' off of Jon's through ball. Nate had a good finish in the 80' from Chris D's pass, his first point in a regular season game. The first goal was the best from a team perspective. We put a scare in the defense with the pace that we brought all the way from the back line. Tracy did well to collect my pass and run to the corner of the goalie box. She sent a dangerous ground ball across the five yard line. I was there for the dummy kick (or did I miss it?) and Ashley made the nice overlapping run to finish strong. We don't do enough of those overlapping finishes and follow-ups. We need to exercise patience on crosses, time our runs, and create some depth to finish. I'm guessing that my run drew some defenders and left Ashley with a little more space. I couldn't see it as I was lunging for the ball - I mean dummying it!

Any comments on the game? How quick was #3 for Prism? Man, I watched her run down Nate on a breakaway and almost catch Chris, who had a nice lead on her.

Here's another comment. Let's not get too excited about the win. We have a lot of ground to make up after a slow start. Prism - clearly a very sportsmanlike team - is remaking their roster after a difficult spring in the First Division. They weren't cohesive. They started with 9 and played most of the game with only 10. They didn't get any subs. We let them poke through several times in the second half for one on one shots. A different striker would have probably buried those. Imagine if the talented Celtic striker would have played in that game. It would have looked a lot different.

Well done though. Everyone played great, and we had some seriously good teamwork.

Onward and upward.




Suzie on the Spot

Note: 5-0 victory over Prism, 9/20/09, Trinity. Goals by Ashley (Tracy), Tracy (Pete), Suzie (earned and taken PK), Chris N. "El Nino" (Jon), Nate (Chris D.). GKs: Alec in 1st, 2nd, Pete in 2nd starting in about the 65'.

4 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO LADIES!!!! I am so proud of all of you! even the guys! I can't wait until Oct. when I can come back down and play with you all. LOVE YOU TENDER.. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am liking the 4-4-2 system with the outside backs flanking. I was able to give De a great ball for her overlapping run into acres of space. Also, I scored from an overlapping run to the back post (couldn't find the net as a forward so it had to wait until I was a defender). I am glad we saw some success with this system. However, next week we will probably face a full strength team and we don't want to get caught with to few people in the middle - so with this systems the outside defenders need to communicate with the winger in front of them to tell them when they can go into the middle to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Jackie have a secured spot on this team?

    -Baffled in Baltimore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Baffled in Baltimore,

    Good question. The Goleros front office says that Jackie has earned ex-officio status on the team. They also note that she wanted to contribute on the field this season, and even paid some dues to secure a reserve spot!

    I think we are all looking forward to her punishing tackles.

    PI

    ReplyDelete