Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Monday, September 28, 2009

Another perspective

We did a great job of not yelling at the refs in the last game - we focused on our own play. When I got a little vocal in the second half from the sidelines, Jer turned and gave me the "shut it" sign.

And speaking of that...The email below offers the perspective of a (former) referee who officiated a game in which there was a lot of dissent. It's reminder of how important it is for the Goleros to avoid yelling at refs or engaging in dissent. We should address reffing issues during stoppages in play through the captains. That is the most effective way of getting the point across without turning the refs against us - something we have experience with, by the way.

This email exchange isn't that relevant to us - it doesn't make a point about anyone on the team or us in particular. I just wanted to pass it on.


All:

Passing this along. I respectfully ask that you
remember the referees working your soccer games are doing the best jobs that
they can. I would appreciate it if you could reciprocate the same
respect that they exhibit for your play, as it will help us keep the best
officials in the State wanting to come back and to officiate our league's
games. Constant disparagement of referes on the field discourages people
from working in our games and does not set a good example for teammates,
spectators, friends, or family members.

If you have a
specific concern or compliment about a CCSL referee, I encourage you to bring it
to my attention so that it can be addressed.

Thank you
for your consideration.

Best regards,

Jesse
Rosenthal
USSF Assignor
----- Forwarded Message ----From: REFEREETo: Jesse
Rosenthal <
globalprisms@yahoo.com>; Sanjay Nayar <spnayar@gmail.com>Sent:
Friday, September 25, 2009 12:01:36 PMSubject: Done with reffingHi Jesse and
Sanjay,I think I am pretty much done with reffing. Last weekend's game no
exceptionally wild moments, but it was nonetheless an altogether depressing
experience. The general obnoxiousness of several players and their
incessant belligerence -- this past Saturday it was almost unilaterally from the
players -- left me feeling so crummy that I wished I had never
volunteered in the first place.I know of no mercenary refs in CCSL, only people
trying to lend a hand when they can -- and in my case, at the expense of
focusing on more important work and my family. Few individuals seem to
realize that in order to ref a 2-hour game, one is basically committing as much
as 4 hours to the task, including prep and travel. For this support, no
ref expects gratitude, but we should be able to expect a limit on the rude
comments and general personal insults. I've had enough, and am hanging up
my whistle. It is literally a depressing experience.A simple example: my
AR mistakenly called a throw-in when there should have been a goal kick.
Having already over-ruled this individual a couple times earlier, I opted to go
with the call out of respect. For this, I was harangued for nearly 20
minutes thereafter by several players.So maybe they are right, and I should give
up the ref badge. Seriously, I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment