Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Monday, May 5, 2008

Another bruiser

Yet another bruiser versus Capital Crew, my least favorite team to play.

Check out Jackie making a fearless tackle at the top of the box. This one got the whistle.

But...3 goals, 3 points. We established control of the match early, and closed out in acceptable fashion. Check the standings. We're in third place with at least one game in our pocket.

In the first half, we got on the board quickly with a low cross by Chris. Kate deflected it nicely inside the near post. The CC keeper is solid so it always takes a good effort to score. Remember last year when he took Katya out? Anyway, congrats to Kate who gets her first outdoor goal with us.
















The rest of the match was characterized by a lot of offensive runs on our part. Nathan scored a nice goal on a solo effort. About 10 minutes later, still in the first half, I won a 50-50 ball at midfield and advanced it to an unmarked Chris for the breakaway score.

We made some fun switches before the final whistle. Jon and Jackie played up, Mike anchored the defense, Liam joined the midfield, and I went to goal to secure Liam's third shutout of the season. Ermy was a fantastic alternate, setting up multiple runs and almost tallying several goals. Carolyn played her first game with us - welcome. Our women rule, I'll say it again.

Notes: 3-0 win versus Capital Crew, May 4, 2008, shutout. Goals: Kate (Chris), Nate (unassisted), Chris (Pete). GKs: Liam, Pete.

4 comments:

  1. yeah, that definitely looks like a high kick to me. Thankfully the ref disagreed, and the play continued. Keep hitting 'em high, Jackie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my memory is terrible. come to think of it, i think the play did continue. it was the whining by the crew that i remembered.

    i don't mean to dump on the crew that much. they had some good plays. it's just that it's not fun playing them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris also hit the post.

    And, I think it was Jer, had a nice header just wide of the near post.

    It was a bruiser. I'm hurting (that might also be because I did some heavy gardening after the game ;)

    I thought in the first half we played really fluid with people covering for their teammates that went upfield. We controlled the game winning most of the 50/50 balls - they were getting really frustrated. The second half we were a little more static, but still played well - Liam changed the dynamic - hugging the sideline and providing width and speed out there.

    That's what I saw, at least, hopefully I was watching the same game as you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of the first photo: click on it to make it larger and you'll see a great smirk on Ally's face. I think she got a little enjoyment from the hit.

    PI

    ReplyDelete