Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The devils wear prada

We dropped a game to Red Devils last weekend.

It was a sad comeback to our 3-0 shutout of them last season. It was clearly more of a loss on our part than it was a win by the Devils. Goal 1 - own goal. Goal 2 - essentially own goal on defensive miscue. Goal 3 - PK on a questionable call. The rest of the match was a competitive 2-2 result. But oh well. It was nice to see Chris sink a goal in the first half, and for Chip to finish a deflection in the second.

The story of the game is the Red Devil women, or at least the three that play up top. Each contributed to the offense in a major way, and each was underestimated by our team. That won't happen again, so Red Devils, enjoy your victory! We hope to see you in the playoffs.

Note: 5-2 loss to Red Devils, Sept 16, 2007, St. John's HS, Goals by Chris (NK), Chip (deflection). GK: Liam.

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget also that their fourth goal only happened on a counter attack because we were all pushed up searching for an equalizer (i guess I can give that guy credit for a good finish too :(

    So basically if you think about it we really won that game 2-1. I know I feel better now ;)

    I know Pete you like to heap all the dispraise on yourself and the defense (and it is hard not to when we let in five goals), but I know for my part playing up top the second half - I gotta get better at looking up before I cross the ball - I wasted two good crossing opportunities when I crossed the ball to nobody (the second time I could have sworn I heard somebody scream out "18", but when I crossed the ball to the 18 - nobody :(

    Also, remember that team defense starts up top...if we give the ball away we give them chances. I don't know if we did that too much though - they had their chances and we had ours - they got lucky on their chances and we didn't.

    See you bright and early Sunday morning.

    n

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't ever like to act like we're in a rebuilding phase. The core has been around long enough that we should be able to absorb changes. But if you look at last week's roster, there was a LOT of change. At least 5 players not previously on the regular squad. I think this contributed to the miscommunications. It will iron itself out and we'll be stronger as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Devils played well. They had some quality guys clogging the mid-field and some talented women. I wish we hadn't lost by such a margin, but they deserved to win that game. Additionally, once we iron out some of the wrinkles in our game, I am hopeful that the result will be different the next time around. Congrats to all for a fun game and thanks to our new players for contributing right away! Sorry I won't be at the next game, but I will be back with a vengence for Celtic.

    ReplyDelete