Team, we've got a strategy for the big game this weekend. We are playing Team X, the #1 team in the division. They are undefeated, but not for long. If we win, we take control of the division. It's a game with BCS bowl implications: #1 versus #2. Meanwhile, we have some key position-people out, including our goalie. But never fear, we have the depth and determination to win!
We'll start in the 4-3-3. We need a fortified D, especially with our usual goalie out and both John and Carlos out as well. We also need to keep up offensive pressure because the word on the street is that Team X is mostly offense and not that much defense. You hear the usual - two guys that can score. We know they can score. They won two weeks ago 5-0, and they recently beat Tsunami Naranja by a score of 6-0. And Tsunami beat us! We have our work cut out for us.
Anna will get the nod in goal. Your captain will lead the back line, and we will be looking for volunteers to run like crazy at Stopper. We have lots of versatile players so be prepared to get an assignment that is somewhat out of the ordinary.
I'm feeling really good and excited though. This will be fun. Remember, it's a new field. Show up early to get oriented.
I can be your crazy stopper if you need.
ReplyDeleteHowever, more and more if I play defense I prefer a flat back two defenders (i.e. left and right), which leaves the outside defenders the option to do overlapping runs and such. This is how the pros play (except Chelsea this season for some strange reason).
The problem this creates in amateur soccer a big whole right in front of the central defenders...usually 'cause the defensive midfielder pushes up too far. The reason the defensive midfielder pushes up too far is because the outside defender overlapping run tactic doesn't work as well at this level. Running up the middle works the best in this league....
it sure would be a nice strategy to implement though.
I've rambled on because I don't think too many people read this blog so I don't think I'll look like a snobby know-it-all to everybody ;)
n.
My concern is that with two guys up front that can score, we will really need to keep them marked. Even so, the likelihood of them breaking free exists, so there needs to be some reinforcement to assure that they don't score. We might need to keep as many people back as possible.
ReplyDeleteThe frustrating thing is that Team X is not new to this league; as memory serves, they have perpetually sucked. I am surprised that they have a new found offense. It should be noted that 3 of their 4 games have been against the bottom of the division. Granted, they are still scoring tons, but I don't think they are beyond defeat. If their defense is as porous as suggested, I cannot wait to carve it up Sunday, especially on turf.
I have never quite understood the value of 2 flat backs in the middle. I personally love the idea of overlapping runs from the back. It's my strength. Let's strive for it. As Nathan mentions, having some depth to cover attacking forwards is an important thing at the rec level.
ReplyDeleteThe comments are flowing, I love it. Chris' points are well taken. Let me look at who will be out there, we may switch to a 4-4-2.
ReplyDeleteI agree with going with the 4-4-2. It's what we primarily used in college and when I played club. I'm extremely comfortable with it and think it creates some depth. You could also use the 4-4-2 with a "T" where you pull the two outside flanks in a bit so it's more compact in the middle. This will prevent a lot from coming down the middle and, if a team can do it, a team can really control the game through possession. It allows for easy, short passes where the ball can be switched quickly through the backs or even through the midfield. As far as the 2 forwards go, they should stay relatively close to together so it creates options for them. When one stricker has possession the other can make a short run toward the ball while the outside flank can come running up the sideline for a cross.
ReplyDeleteWOW...... This Blog is out of control Wish I could be there but I will be 6 hours away... WIN ONE FOR ME, or AT LEAST TIE PLEASE..........
ReplyDelete