Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Monday, May 14, 2012

Some history

Yesterday's win versus Gang Green was a good one - a 3-2 come-from-behind win.  It got me thinking.  It's been a while since we've seen that team, but we have, in fact, seen them on a number of occasions.  I searched our blog.  Until recently, I didn't tag team names on the game reports so it was a basic and unreliable word search.  Anyway, I found two games, and I remember them both.  Those two games plus the one we played last weekend all followed a similar script.

In the spring of 2009, we were a pretty decent side but we hadn't distinguished ourselves in the standings.  We faced a must win in the final week to get into the playoffs.  Gang Green came out strong and led us most of the game.  I remember taking the field and shouting that this was it for our season if we didn't step up.  I have no idea what effect that had, but we had one of our great all-time finishes.  We scored two in the waning minutes to get ourselves into the playoffs.  Meg got her first goal for the club and then Adrian did something special to win the game.   I remember Adrian taking a ball and just going all the way to goal with it.  Their defense faced so much pressure in the second half, they finally cracked.  Adrian scored a great 90th minute goal.  Read about it here: http://golerosteam.blogspot.com/2009/06/adrian-propels-team-into-playoffs-with.html.  

In the fall of 2009, just a few months later, we had a similar situation where we earned a 4-4 result that was also come-from-behind.  I recall one of the Gang Green players congratulating us because we never gave up and they just couldn't find a way to beat us.  That was saying a lot because they won the division that season and went up to First Division.  They were there for a while, but took our place in Second Division when we moved down recently.  Now they fell again to Third Division - probably because of attendance. 

We may see them in the playoffs.  Let's be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment