View Larger Map
In the car on the way to the game, George and I were talking about how we like Ridge field. George likes the quality of the pitch and the layout. I enjoy traveling to a completely different community. I was just getting to know the broader neighborhood, having approached from a number of directions. Fort Dupont park is a nice open space and I've become accustomed to the drive, especially since I use Minnesota Avenue and Ely Place. Just last week, George's daughter and his wife were spread out on a blanket, enjoying the game. This week, Heather's family and fiancee were there watching her patrol the wing from the stands.
But that's a wrap.
The Goleros' 11:00 a.m. game today was one of the last CCSL event at Ridge. The game after ours was abandoned after a security situation developed. According to reports - both from the league and the Metropolitan Police - some teens made a brazen move to steal some soccer bags right in front of some players. When the bags were recovered, the teens returned to the field with a group of "supporters" to cause a confrontation with all CCSL participants. The police were called and everyone left the field. The 3:00 p.m. game was played but with a police escort.
The league doesn't have any more games scheduled at the field for the season. And I don't see it happening now. That's too bad. I doubt the vast majority of the nearby residents support the type of threatening behavior that occurred. What is more, Ridge is only $50/hour, compared with other fields that are $150 or more per hour. Looks like it wasn't a pricing error after all. I guess the discount reflects the risk.
Bummer.
If they don't want to loose us as clients, perhaps they will post security there on game days
ReplyDelete