
We showed nicely today at Ridge against a top team in the division. We scored two goals. But it wasn't enough. Itchy & Scratchy, currently in first place, capitalized on two deflections to open up scoring, and put two more past us during the match.
Even the other team agreed that we had the better plays and probably the better chances. The difference was a single play. I would say the only thing we need to think about as a team is how to keep the advantage after we score. We are quite prone to give up goals within minutes of scoring.
I missed the last game so I wasn't privy to our form. It's great form. The passing is much more crisp than last season and the defense is under control. I think we're in good position for our match versus DC Thunder next week.
Did we play well? What did we do best? How do we avoid giving up goals within minutes of scoring and at the beginning of halves?
Scoring summary:
- 10' - I&S scores after a fortunate deflection in our end. Alec made a fantastic save but his deflection found the feet of another player, who had an open lane to the net.
- 20' - I&S scores from the left wing, when their player made an incredible shot from just a few feet inside the side line, curving over Alec.
- 40' - Ashley first-times a bobble by their goalie (created by Adrian, who challenged the keeper in the air).
- 75' - Elyse runs onto a 50/50 ball at the top of the box and is shouldered hard by their defender. A penalty is called. Mike scores when his low and hard shot to the right post is too hard for the keeper (who even got a hand on it).
- 76' - Failed pass leads to a poke and finish by I&S for the three points.
Your captain would like to single out Anna for a game well-played, and for stepping into the goalie position for about 10 minutes. She notched one of the best saves of the match on a 50-yard 1-on-1 breakaway. At the time, that kept us in the game.
Notes: 3-2 loss vs Itchy & Scratch on 5/2/2010 at Ridge. Goals by Ashley (unassisted but with special mention for Adrian's challenge of the keeper), PK goal by Mike (earned by Elyse). GK: Alec, Anna for 10 minutes. Discipline: Yellow for Alec (slide tackle outside the box).
No comments:
Post a Comment