Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Monday, September 29, 2008

Well, what did you think?



Rather than staring off with a game report, let's just talk about that game. Post a comment!



Overall impressions?

What was the most memorable play?

What was the secret to our success?

What do we have to carry forward to the next week?

What time did you get to sleep last night? For me, it was about 1:45 a.m.

9 comments:

  1. I thought it was a fun game. I think the wet turf made for some stretches of sloppy soccer, but the defense was stout, the women played better than most of the DC Divided men, and we were able to score when we had the chance. I think after we get a few games under our belts, we'll get even more comfortable with each other and do even better the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction: we played DC Thunder, not DC Divided.

    Yeah, it was a fun game alright.

    I didn't notice much sloppy soccer. Rather, I thought we played with structure (maybe too much). The wet field, if anything, favored their fast striker who could slide the ball past the defense more quickly.

    I agree, the defense played really well. They only got behind us a few times, and even then we kept enough pressure on that either Alec was there to bail us out or we forced errors.

    PI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sloppy soccer may have been limited to missed traps on both sides due to the wet conditions. The ball moved fast.

    The play of the game for me was Griz's save off the line.

    If I knew the secret to our success, I would apply for the [Tottenham](http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/) job. That said, we were aggressive and won many 50/50 balls. The pace of the game helped us not get down on ourselves and just move on to the next play and to get back on defense. Plus, the two classy strikers just picked their spots and slotted home, not with overwhelming power, but with power and accuracy combined.

    Carry forward to next week: team work.

    Pete, structure is good for us ;)

    Let's play with too much structure for a few more games - after we learn that, we can start to mix it up a bit.

    My only advice is that the forwards have to stay closer to each other and let the wing that is opposite the ball take up the space. Since I played forward most of the game , that could be construed as a critique of me. I'll take it. Mostly I played with Katya and she is really good about switching her position from side to side, while I just worked on their sweeper. One time I pulled the sweeper way out of position, but we couldn't quite take advantage of the big hole he left in their center defense - I should have done that more.

    [this time my name link is political so don't click if you don't want to see politics]

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, that goal-line save was memorable. was that the same play in which Alec made the outstanding sweeping hand save that (fairly) took the striker out?

    Talk about determination back there. Well done guys!

    PI

    ReplyDelete
  5. somebody else please respond - I feel weird with my long response sticking out like a sore thumb. Jackie took the plunge - can you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nate - folks probably agree with your analysis. Me, I'm saving my main comments for the game report later this week.

    PI

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm...it was cool.

    How's that?

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the game and thought we played very well. Everyone played their position and we looked very natural. I loved the competition and our ability to show up to play. I hope we can continue to field our entire team. I know it is hard for everyone to make all the games but when we do show up, we are a force to be reckoned with. Well done by everyone and I can't wait until Sunday.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete