Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Friday, February 3, 2012

About Facebook

Interesting fact: Facebook is looking to tap the private capital markets to grow its gargantuan business, targeting an initial public offering of $75-100 billion.  As noted in the Economist, that market capitalization would exceed Boeing's.

But I'm not a financial analyst, nor do we, as soccer players, care about that.

I just wanted to explain what I did on Facebook yesterday.  Facebook is archiving all old-style groups, such as our Goleros Soccer Club group.  Before that occurred, I wanted go ahead and delete it.  We never used it and I decided, for now, that the privacy implications weren't worth it.  Even though we are one of the few teams out there with a website, we still take reasonable steps to keep a low profile.  Our blog isn't readily searchable (as configured) and we try to keep personally identifiable information to a minimum.  The one issue we had was with Facebook.  The existence of the Facebook group did show up in Google search results, for example.

Anyway, that should change pretty quickly.  Our group is deleted and, even before I did that, I toggled the privacy settings to remove it from search.

Facebook is a powerful tool but I don't think we need it for our purposes. 

I am always listening if you have thoughts on how to organize the Goleros in the virtual world!

No comments:

Post a Comment