Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Wien














I said I would post a few more pics from my recent travels.  I was always like to see photos of foreign places - hopefully you do too.  Here are some shots of Vienna, Austria. Sleepy but beautiful, particularly if you an architecture buff.  It's very much a gateway to Eastern Europe.

The first photo is the Kunst History Museum near the spectacular Hofburg in the city center.  It was one of many places that I passed by quickly in my 2 hour walking tour (that's all the time I had).  

The second photo depicts Karlskirsche, a wonderful oriental and baroque-style church.  Apparently, there are some incredibly intricate scenes carved on the columns.  I wouldn't know, it was getting dark and I had more to see!    

The third photo is just a shot of the city center near Stephansplatz, which is near the scary-looking St. Stephan Cathedral.  That place is so Goth.  

2 comments:

  1. Living in southern Europe (Spain and Italy) I was accustomed to a little less organization and cleanliness in my cities. When I got to Vienna I felt like I could eat off of the streets. Such a clean, well-organized, beautiful city. Did you make it to the Belvedere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i got to see the Belvedere, but like everything else, I did it extremely quickly. My hotel was in the same area. I took the metro up to the Upper Belvedere. I then strolled through all the grounds, from top to bottom. I wanted to go inside the museum, but I had to catch a flight so it was not to be. It's quite a nice place. Didn't get to see any of Klimpt's works, however.

    ReplyDelete