Team, depending on the outcome of this "investigation," we may be offered promotion at the Captain's meeting next week. It depends on whether the league makes a second spot available in the 2nd Division, whether Tsunami as the 2nd-placed team accepts, and if not, whether the officers are in the mood to extend the invitation to us.
Please vote on whether you think we should move up to the 2nd division or stay in the 3rd division.
Let me add this: you rarely get the chance to get promoted and you can always return to the lower division later. Your captain is firmly in the promotion camp. We will take people's views into account, but no guarantees that the result of the vote will be what happens.
let's earn it this season and not go up just because another team passes on the promotion.
ReplyDeleteGriz
I think the fact, as Griz mentioned, that we need to earn it, coupled with our low numbers for women, would make promotion difficult. I vote we stay down and win it for real this coming season.
ReplyDeleteIf we are losing players, it may make more sense to redo the 3rd division again to make sure we are prepared for 2nd level competition. I feel as though we were good enough to be promoted despite our 3rd place record, but with our team in a state of change, it may be more fun to play less competitively for another season. But I'll play anywhere and be fine with it.
ReplyDeleteFrom experience I know that turning down promotion is a bad idea. There's not that much difference in the level of play between 2nd and 3rd. Players will come - even more players will come if we are in 2nd division rather than 3rd.
ReplyDeleteWe did earn promotion....it is only a quirk in the rules that put Tsunami ahead of us (CCSL counts head to head tie breakers first and goal differential second - contrary to every other league in existence. They have good reason: there are only eight games so head to head is important as one 7-0 game could really unbalance things. However, I would like to see the rule changed to say that if the only difference between the 2nd and 3rd place teams is their head to head game during the regular season and if they meet in the playoffs then the result of that head to head game should be taken into account as well. In which case we beat Tsunami easily in the playoffs.)
Promotion all the way!!!!!!!
nathan
Nathan makes some good points, so I gotta agree. I'm not sure that 2nd division would be all that different other than tighter games and no easy matches like Red Tape.
ReplyDeleteIt would give us all satisfaction to take promotion given the "fracaso (Spanish word for controversy, scandal, rip-off)" of the final match and feeling as though the referee's errors were part of the reason (not the whole reason since we had 99 minutes of gametime before the incident) we didn't even get to contest a shootout to win our promotion outright.
If the CCSL offers it, let's take it. Call me John Kerry, but I'm changing my vote. "I voted against promotion before I voted for it..." I can always say if promotion goes horrifically wrong and we get relegated next season.
I suppose my only concern was playing better teams without all our components. Other than Red Tape, I don't recall really blowing anyone out last season, so I thought having a full compliment would be necessary to compete. I am down with whatever the collective whole decides to do, as I am often times wrong. Besides, a little stiffer competition can only make us better. I'm not flip-flopping like Jer did, but I am open to any and all progress for the Goleros.
ReplyDeleteI think we should stay in this division and earn it. Either way we are going to be working our asses off this season!!
ReplyDeletejudging by the decision of the disciplinary committee I think there is a .0000000001% change of Goleros being offered promotion.
ReplyDeletenathan
Hey Nathan,
ReplyDeleteWhat was their decision? I haven't heard anything...
Tsunami did not take promotion. However, promotion of the third place team (us) did not come up. It was so absent from the proceedings it leads me to believe that promotion is just not offered to 3rd place teams anymore. The two previous commissioners of the league favored more promotion over less and even favored mandatory promotion. However, the current commissioner is more by the book and certainly does not favor mandatory promotion. Also, if he had offered us promotion it would have been his team that went down to 3rd division as a result and he seemed happy that Tsunami refused promotion. This is something we cannot bring up to the league or argue: 1. because offering promotion to the 3rd place team is not codified in the Constitution of the league. 2. we are on shaky ground with the league.
ReplyDeleteWe'll have fun in 3rd division. There is a new team in the league. Our division will have 10 teams so there will be one team we do not play. In the future the league might expand to 40 teams (from 36) and this is part of the process (if it does expand then we would get 9 games and playoffs as opposed to 8 games and playoffs). The main obstacle to that is field time. If anyone on the team is willing to volunteer time looking for good fields for our league to use you should contact the commissioner to ask how you can help....they always need help with this.
See you Sunday.
Schedule out soon.
nathan