Inclement Weather Line

703-229-1705

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Cherry Blossom tourney report

Imagine playing 3 games in a row.

That's what some of us did this weekend. (you really feel it the next morning!) We participated in the CCSL Cherry Blossom tournament on the Mall. The tournament organizers saw the rain coming on Sunday so they compacted the first round into one day (and, as it turned out, canceled the finals). It was a nice day actually. We had some drizzle but we also had some sun. There were thousands of people on the Mall due to the annual festivities.

Nathan joined the Mall Rats in the Premier division.

Jess, Pete, and George joined our friends at Far Post in the rec division. We know Far Post well - we played them in the season opener in Fall '06 and again this spring. Jon, their captain, assembled a good crew for the tourney. We made a marked improvement in each game, finishing with a 1-1-1 record after three physical matches (to the best of my recollection: 2-0 loss to Little Urban Achievers; 3-3 tie to Kicks; 3-2 win over Peak).

A word about Peak, the enigmatic team from Roanoke. They have a unique...um...style. They basically play in two lines. The back line - the Beat Generation - averages about 50 years of age, with ponytails being the preferred "do." The front line - the myspace generation - averages around 23, with excellent speed and skills. Here's to Peak! I hope to play on a back line like that some day. They were a good opponent (your captain actually played them in another tournament several years ago).

As for our time with Far Post, it was fun. Good luck to them in the rest of the CCSL season.

3 comments:

  1. Jess, Peter, George:

    Thanks for playing with us this weekend. It was great fun, and all three of you made huge contributions. Maybe we'll do it again soon.

    Take care -- and here's hoping the third division final is Far Post vs. Goleros ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Far Posters for a Day

    I really enjoyed having you guys too. I wish we could play a team like that last one every Sunday. It was just wierd to watch and participate in. Great meeting you and if the Goleros every fail in thier contract negotiations Far Post will sign you (I think atleast, I'm not the manager!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having us.

    I'm all for a Far Post/Goleros final. Of course, all of that falling in the mud that you saw was posturing. I won't do that in a Goleros match! (I was so muddy that tourists cleared the way for me in the metro.)

    Brooke, looks like you're trying to raise the cost of doing business for the Goleros. By making a contingent offer to Jess and George, you're going to force me to sign them to a richer deal!

    ReplyDelete